Sindhu made me nostalgic and I was a bit intimidated because of her height too ( I am not used to people being taller than me, and that too a girl? Never :-P). Not that I was playing at her level, but I did feel that why did I not pursue Basketball as my career. Life would have been completely different.
Basketball has taught me a lot in my life, even after I stopped practicing. A lot more later, perhaps. When I played regularly, it taught me to be in a team, practice hard, digest losses, enjoy our wins, literally pour your blood ( I have had bad knees hundreds of times and a broken nose once too :-P) and sweat, and always, always fight till the end, no matter what. Yes, I did cry sometimes on losing a match, or not making it into the team in spite of getting selected in the practice camp, but it was the part of the game and you had to face it one or the other day. The pressure is of a complete different kind. Your hear races faster than the ticking clock and your eyes constantly glued to the score board. The sound of the referee's whistle and the ball releasing out of your hand for a free shot. It is all felt inside. No words are good enough.
I never wanted to play Basketball professionally, and maybe that is why I never took it so seriously. Not that I was bad at it, but I never put my heart into it as much as I did while studying for my CA exams, which unfortunately, I am realizing now. But better late than never, right? Now I always feel that had I took it more seriously then, I would have done more justice to it. Like as always, I had the best teacher anyone could have. He taught us so many things beyond the game which made it all more wonderful. Agradnyeya Vyayamshala (AVS) was the best team in Mumbai, and I am not bragging. He had once said, "AVS is not just about practicing Basketball for playing at State and National level. It is about values, discipline, a sportsman spirit, respect for seniors and a legacy to carry forward." I can never forget it. Never, ever. And to add to it, my team. They are the best. :-).
Keep Smiling and keep playing.
Mayura Prabhudesai
August 22, 2016
Basketball has taught me a lot in my life, even after I stopped practicing. A lot more later, perhaps. When I played regularly, it taught me to be in a team, practice hard, digest losses, enjoy our wins, literally pour your blood ( I have had bad knees hundreds of times and a broken nose once too :-P) and sweat, and always, always fight till the end, no matter what. Yes, I did cry sometimes on losing a match, or not making it into the team in spite of getting selected in the practice camp, but it was the part of the game and you had to face it one or the other day. The pressure is of a complete different kind. Your hear races faster than the ticking clock and your eyes constantly glued to the score board. The sound of the referee's whistle and the ball releasing out of your hand for a free shot. It is all felt inside. No words are good enough.
I never wanted to play Basketball professionally, and maybe that is why I never took it so seriously. Not that I was bad at it, but I never put my heart into it as much as I did while studying for my CA exams, which unfortunately, I am realizing now. But better late than never, right? Now I always feel that had I took it more seriously then, I would have done more justice to it. Like as always, I had the best teacher anyone could have. He taught us so many things beyond the game which made it all more wonderful. Agradnyeya Vyayamshala (AVS) was the best team in Mumbai, and I am not bragging. He had once said, "AVS is not just about practicing Basketball for playing at State and National level. It is about values, discipline, a sportsman spirit, respect for seniors and a legacy to carry forward." I can never forget it. Never, ever. And to add to it, my team. They are the best. :-).
Keep Smiling and keep playing.
Mayura Prabhudesai
August 22, 2016
No comments:
Post a Comment